By Paige Pellew
After 14 months of virtual worship, on the 22 May 2021 Croydon SDA Church reopened for in-person worship. To mark the occasion the only fitting way was to witness 16 souls giving their life to Christ in the church’s first baptism of 2021.
What was especially wonderful, despite the major disruption of the past year, is that 60% of the candidates came to know about the Lord and request bible study and eventually baptism by watching the weekly church service streamed on Croydon’s YouTube channel and Vimeo Livestream platforms. Croydon’s interactive Sabbath School programme has been especially popular with its engaging format which allows people from all over the world to ask our panel questions and interact with one another live. Croydon also regularly livestreams a range of interactive roundtable bible study discussions and health and lifestyle programmes presented by health professionals with the opportunity to ask questions.
Here a few special highlights to mark the joyous occasion:
- The baptism started off with young Pathfinder, Nathan Lewis who was born in an Adventist home and loves the Lord. Nathan is extremely mature for his age, very knowledgeable and understands the purpose of baptism. He wants to serve the Lord and share God’s word with others.
- Annaliese Smith, the second youngest person to be baptised at age 9, also loves the Lord and wants to serve him wholeheartedly. As young as she is, this decision was exclusively hers. Annaliese describes herself as an aspiring singer who wants to make people happy. This is a moment she will remember forever, being baptised by her father Pastor Royston Smith.
- Sharna Brown was also amongst those who gave their life to Christ. Sharna is a teacher and has been inspired by her close friend and colleague Rickalya. She is passionate about community and positively impacting on the lives of others to change them for the cause of God.
- The service really felt like a family affair. Husband and wife duo, Patrick Mumbere and Scovia Khazila gave their lives to Christ together.
- We also had mother and daughter Carla Alana Hassan and Tashica Amanda Loo make their public declaration for Christ together.
We want to offer huge congratulations to all 16 candidates that made the best decision of their life on 22 May when they gave their life wholly to Christ.
As we look to the future, we are continuing to support others in finding Christ. We are currently studying with 20 people who are preparing to be baptised this summer and later this year. Whilst the past year has been uncertain, there is one thing we can be certain of is God’s unfailing love. In a time where those have lost hope it is clear to see God move and change individual lives. People have found purpose and peace in the Lord.
Croydon SDA church will continue to support those in experiencing Christ moving and working in their life. If you or know someone you know would like support with furthering your relationship with Christ, contact us for bible study; baptism or prayer. Don’t delay this life changing decision. Do it now!